Saturday, July 27, 2013

Change-of-address requirement

If you are in the U.S. as a non-citizen, then in most cases, you
will have a requirement regarding change of address. Specifically,
within 10 days of your move, you must tell the immigration service
of your new address. This requirement continues for you until and
unless you become a citizen.

If you are in F-1 status, and if your school is a SEVIS school
(that is, your school’s international student office is able to
connect directly to the SEVIS system), you may fulfill the
requirement by telling that office. I strongly suggest that you do
so via email, and that you save and print a copy of the email, in
case you later ever face questions. In addition, I would keep a
copy of your lease (if you are renting your housing), or some
other evidence that shows the date of your new address.

Otherwise, the normal way to report a change of address is via
form AR-11.

You also can notify the postal service of your new
address if you want, but doing so DOES NOT satisfy the immigration

Not to scare you, but failure to meet this requirement can be
considered a misdemeanor offense, and also can be grounds for
removal from the U.S.

Here is the regulation:

8 CFR 214.2(f)(17)  Current name and address. A student must
inform the DSO and the Service of any legal changes to his or her
name or of any change of address, within 10 days of the change, in
a manner prescribed by the school. A student enrolled at a SEVIS
school can satisfy the requirement in 8 CFR 265.1 of notifying the
Service by providing a notice of a change of address within 10
days to the DSO, who in turn shall enter the information in SEVIS
within 21 days of notification by the student. A student enrolled
at a non-SEVIS school must submit a notice of change of address to
the Service, as provided in 8 CFR 265.1, within 10 days of the
change. Except in the case of a student who cannot receive mail
where he or she resides, the address provided by the student must
be the actual physical location where the student resides rather
than a mailing address. In cases where a student provides a
mailing address, the school must maintain a record of, and must
provide upon request from the Service, the actual physical
location where the student resides.
You are welcome to contact me at or at
610-296-3947. This information does not constitute legal advice.

Friday, July 19, 2013

U.S. consulate in Guangzhou has moved, service resumes July 23

From the "immigrant visa" web page of the consulate:

"The U.S. Consulate General will be open in our new modern facility in the Zhujiang New Town neighborhood of Guangzhou. Beginning July 23, all services will be provided at our new location. Our entrance is located on Huaxia Road near Zhujiang New Town Metro Station Exit B1."

I have no idea why they put this information within the immigrant visa page, as opposed to having a dedicated web page about the move. However, by now I have learned that with regard to immigration and visa policies, not to ask "why" but simply to accept that things are as they are lol.

As you probably already know, if you seek an immigrant visa to the US while you are in China, then Guangzhou is the ONLY post that can help you.